Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Chop House/La Dolce Vita

I'm gonna tackle two drinks in one review!

The acquisition of a gift certificate and a crappy week led us (Becca and myself) to La Dolce Vita, which I learned is the dessert half of the Chop House.  It is as ostentatious as it appears.  We got there around 8:30, it was a Saturday night.  Bad choice #1.  The bar was full and the girl at the door said we could wait for seats to open up, so we did.  Very shortly after, a waitress approached us, followed quickly by the hostess (with the, fucking, mostest.  I'm SO serious.) who was overly concerned about how long we had to wait to sit down.  We only waited, like, ten minutes...take it easy lady.  We got a table!

Our waitress, Emily, didn't know we were sitting there for about ten more minutes.  She was very apologetic and adorable.  Forgiven.  I order a dirty martini and then change my mind because that's what I always order, I got the Chop House Classic Martini.  Becca ordered the drink I'll be addressing after this one, hush hush.


There it is.  Perfect and beautiful.  The word classic has never been more aptly applied.  It was the cleanest, most refreshing straight liquor I'd ever tasted.  The lemon spiral is classy (just look at it!), and it lent a faint aroma of citrus to the glass.  Yup, it was delicious.  And $10.  4 out of 5.

And now...The Bloody Gary.  Somehow it sounds far grosser than a Bloody Mary.  Why?  I can't quite put my finger on it.  This drink is genius, and I can't believe I've never heard the idea before.  A Bloody Mary...add beef stock!  What a perfect match!  Ok, maybe some people would be a little put off by beef stock in their drink.  But, whatever they do to make it (my guess is, strain it a thousand times)...it totally works, it's delicious.  La Dolce Vita has a pretty decent selection of olives, too!  Emily brought us an entire platter of olives and accoutrements to choose from, swank.  You can choose whatever olives you want to go in your drink.  The anchovy olives were great, but the blue cheese really stole the show.  There are so many other things that happened in this crazy place while we were there.  If  you see me at the bar, ask me about it.  I'll talk your ear off.  Bloody Gary, amazing.  5 out of 5.

2 comments:

  1. My husband used to make Bloody Marys with Beefamato, Clamato and pickle juice (among other things). They were unbelievably awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bloody Marys are the perfect vessel for so many things.

    ReplyDelete