Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cafe Felix - Extra Dirty Gin Martini/10pm

Let me start by saying, I don't think I've ever had a bad martini.  The simplicity keeps it consistent.  Obviously, some are better than others and the grade of liquor involved has tidal waves of influence on the quality of the drink.   Or, so I thought...

Extra Dirty Gin Martini with Gorgonzola stuffed Olives: $10.00

At Cafe Felix, I did not specify a particular gin in my martini.  Their house gin varies, I'm told, and right now it's Five O'Clock brand gin (please note that a fifth of this liquor costs $7 to the general public).  I did ask for it extra dirty, so the olive juice did it's fair share.  I have to give the bartender credit for making a delicious martini out of rotgut liquor, but the cost difference is unforgivable!

The bleu cheese in the olives was great!  The super pungent flavor was a really nice complement to the martini.  My drink was remarkably smooth and easy on the palate.  Pretty classic.

Katy already touched on the atmosphere.  I'll leave it at that.  Our waitress was really nice and made an awesome last minute drink recommendation based on Katy's praise of the habanero vodka.  The Inferno.  Can't wait to try it!

Despite all my bitching about the reticent house gin, it was a great drink.  Well drinks are well drinks and if you don't choose your liquor, then you get what you get.

3.5 out of 5  

No comments:

Post a Comment