Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bar Louie

Rob Roy



This was an experiment in iPhone application skills.  I've since decided that I need to find a new one.  Shake your iPhone for a random cocktail.  I wasn't disappointed in the Rob Roy result, actually I was a little excited.  I was hoping for a more consistent emergence of classic type cocktails, but it's been giving me really crappy sorority girl shots.  Whatever.

So!  The Rob Roy.  A classic, for sure.  Scotch, vermouth, bitters, a cherry and a lemon twist.  It was named for after Scottish folk hero Robert Roy MacGregor, but I can't really find the connection.  I guess it's because he was Scottish.  The cocktail was created (1890-ish) just after Dewar's scotch was introduced in New York.

Upon first sip, it tasted like scotch and sour mix.  That didn't seem right.  The further into the drink I got, the more it tasted like sour mix.  It wasn't bad, exactly, but it wasn't right either.  I asked the waitress what was in my drink.  Dewars, bitters, and sour mix.  The cherries tasted like juicy plastic.  No discernible flavor and no lemon twist.  I would like to try this drink again with the right ingredients.  I wouldn't say I'm a fan of scotch, but I'd like to give it the chance it deserves. 

2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment